Social media have seen a rapid growth in popularity since the beginning of lockdown. Apart from the large social media platforms that were already popular, such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, some relatively new applications have come to surface too.
The below apps, are shaking up the older social media marketing ways and techniques, as they are adapting to the changing appetites of users.
- Clubhouse: A social audio app for iOS and Android based on audio and exclusivity. It allows users to create and participate in conversations on specific topics.
- Peanut: A social network especially designed for women throughout all stages of motherhood. According to Something Big ‘Peanut offers its followers a wealth of useful resources, forums and groups, including a community area set up in 2020 for people to share their experiences with infertility, pregnancy loss and adoption.’
- Twitch: A live-streaming platform, mainly used by gamers to play or watch games. Users can engage with live streams or upload videos for their audience.
- Discord: It was launched in 2015, starting off as a gamers’ platform, but after the pandemic has spread to a broader audience.
- TikTok: Probably the hottest app of 2021. The short video sharing platform has accrued over 800 million monthly users since its launch in 2016. What made TikTok stand out was its authentic and real content. If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s about time.